Registered Campus Organization (RCO) Event Liability
The University of California has created an insurance program to cover Registered Campus Organization (RCO) for most on-campus events. Events covered by the policy are paid for by the University. However, Registered Campus Organization's (RCO) are responsible for making sure their event is covered.

  • Background
  • On-Campus Events
  • Off-Campus Events
  • Claims Reporting
  • Contacts

Student organizations that already have an insurance source are ineligible for RCO Event Liability coverage.

For all other student organizations, including fraternities and sororities, that do not have a national chapter, whose on-campus events fall within hazard classes 1, 2 or 3, please check below to determine your eligibility to use the RCO On Campus Blanket Certificate as proof of insurance.

For all other student organizations, including fraternities and sororities, that do not have a national chapter, whose events will be off-campus, please either click the Apply Online button below or complete and print the fillable RCO Application Form. For more information about on-campus and off-campus events, please click the respective tabs shown on this page.

The UC Hazard Class Chart found below may also help to determine if any waiver requirements or accident medical requirements may pertain to your event. Additionally, please read the ACE Accident Medical Policy Summary provided below to help you determine if you meet the definition of an insured person.

If you have questions about how your event should be classified for insurance purposes, or need more information about the application process or your Certificate of Insurance, contact Mercer at 1-866-838-9536.

Your application may be subject to additional approval requirements by the underwriting Insurance Company; all hazard class 4 events are subject to approval by the insurance company underwriter. Please be sure to submit your application at least 7 to 10 days prior to the event. Please note, that submission of a completed application and/or premium payment is not a guarantee of coverage. Coverage is not in place for your event until a Certificate of Insurance is provided.

If the event you are holding is not covered through this RCO Event Liability policy, you still may be able to obtain coverage for a cost. Please contact Mercer at or by phone Monday through Friday from 8am-5pm (CT) at 1-866-838-9536 to discuss possibilities for coverage.

Please note: During the renewal process and website update (usually in February), you may not be able to access the online registration. If you need to obtain a Certificate of Insurance during this time, please complete and save the fillable RCO Application Form that can be emailed to our team at:

Nationally affiliated Greek organizations are eligible to apply for coverage if all of the criteria below are met; these applications will be subject to underwriting approval.

  • Written declination of coverage from the national organization is provided with the application.
  • The event is a philanthropic or community service based event.
  • There will be limited alcohol exposure at the event.

Events held by National Greek Life Organizations always require the paper application and cannot be completed online; please download the RCO Application Form below.

Alternatively, if the national organization has approved coverage for your event, assuming the event requires evidence of insurance, the next step would be to contact your national chapter. They should be able to provide your organization with evidence of insurance coverage which is required to include additional insured language.

Participants Legal Liability provides coverage for claims you are legally obligated to pay because of actions brought against you, the Named Insured, by players and/or other participant(s). Participant means any player, coach, manager, staff member, team worker, official, media personnel, cheerleader, or band member practicing for, or participating in, the sporting event. This means all of your team members and players and any participating non- members! Participant liability insurance, like all liability policies, would provide coverage to the injured party only if the tenant user were liable.

****Failure to comply with one, or both, of the following requirements will affect Participant Legal Liability in place for any event even if a Certificate of Insurance is provided.****

  • 1. Insured Persons must have Accident Medical coverage in force with a limit no less than $10,000 for each of your participants (players) or a deductible of not less than $10,000 will be instituted for Participants Legal Liability. This deductible applies separately to each claim, or suit, with respect to any “Insured Person”. The limit of insurance will not be reduced by the amount of this deductible. Please click here for information on the Ace Accident Medical policy that is provided by the University of California to determine if your group meets the definition of an “Insured Person”.

  • If you believe your group does not qualify as an “Insured Person”, please contact us at 1-866-838-9536 and we will verify eligibility with the insurer for you. If it is confirmed, that your group does not qualify as an “Insured Person”, then please click Accident Medical Application Form – Sports Teams/Leagues or Accident Medical Application Form – Clubs/Groups to obtain an Accident Medical policy for your sports related event.

  • 2. Insured Persons must also have a Waiver and Release form system that is regularly maintained or Participants Legal Liability will be subject to a $10,000 deductible. This system must secure and maintain properly executed Waiver and Release forms for all player participants in your group. For minor participants (under eighteen years of age) you must always secure and maintain properly executed Minor Waiver and Release forms signed by the parent or legal guardian. Please refer to the UC hazard class chart below for event specific instructions.

Claims Reporting

How to report a claim:

Previously, student organization events and activities held on-campus were not covered by the University of California’s own insurance programs. This posed a problem for both students and the University because:

  • The students had to rely on personal or family financial resources to defend a claim or lawsuit arising out of their activities.
  • The University had no financial recourse when its property was damaged by student activities or when it received a claim or lawsuit arising from student activities.

To remedy this problem, the University has purchased a commercial insurance policy to cover most on-campus student organization events. STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAKING SURE THEIR ON-CAMPUS EVENTS ARE COVERED UNDER THIS COMMERCIAL POLICY. The following Event Coverage Checklist will help you do that.

PLEASE NOTE: This coverage is not for individual students or non-students. Student organizations may not use their name to obtain coverage for other parties. Some activities, such as dances, may require more steps than those on the checklist. INTENTIONAL MISREPRESENTATION OF AN EVENT INVALIDATES THE INSURANCE COVERAGE AND MAY BE REFERRED TO STUDENT CONDUCT FOR DISCIPLINARY ACTION.

Register your Organization.

Please be sure your Campus Organization is properly registered with Student Affairs. Coverage is available only for REGISTERED CAMPUS ORGANIZATIONS.

Obtain proper authorization for use of facility.

Please refer to your schools website/intranet for specific procedures

You MUST sign up for coverage if your organization is holding the following type of event on-campus:

  • Animal Competitions (Dog Frisbee, Agility) (note: animal bite exclusion applies)
  • Animal Shows (Dog, Cat, etc.)
  • Automobile Shows
  • Bar Mitzvah
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Bat Mitzvah
  • Beauty Pageants
  • Bingo
  • Boat Shows (dry dock)
  • Boxing
  • Campus Tours
  • Challenge / Ropes Courses
  • Cheerleading
  • Climbing/Rock Walls-indoors with safety ropes
  • Comedians (Stand-up)
  • Concerts – Rock (no punk/heavy metal, rap or hip hop)
  • Consumer Shows
  • Cooking Demonstrations
  • Country Music Shows
  • County Festivals and Fairs
  • Cross Country Running
  • Cross Country Skiing
  • Cycling (no mountain or BMX biking)
  • Dance (performance or competition – not theatrical dance)
  • Dances (no heavy rock): student sponsored dance - rated by attendees
  • Diving
  • Fencing
  • Field Hockey
  • Film Shoots / Photo shoots Video Shoots
  • Football-contact
  • Football-non contact
  • Fraternal Conventions
  • Fun Fairs
  • Graduation Parties (adult attendance)
  • Gymnastics
  • Handball
  • Harvest Festivals (no petting zoos, hayrides, or owned amusements)
  • Health Fairs
  • Ice Hockey
  • Ice Skating
  • Inline Hockey
  • Jousting
  • Judo
  • Karate
  • Lacrosse
  • Livestock Shows
  • Lounge Acts (including Tribute Bands)
  • Martial Arts – no mixed martial arts
  • Model Airplane Contests
  • Outdoor Picnics (no water exposures)
  • Outdoor Trade Shows
  • Overnight Host Program
  • Pageants
  • Paintball
  • Parades (under 500 spectators)
  • Proms
  • Quinceneras
  • Racquetball
  • Re-Enactments (battles or tournaments)
  • Rifle/Skeet/Trap
  • Roller Skating
  • Rowing/Crew
  • Rugby
  • Sailing
  • Skate Boarding
  • Soap Box Derbies
  • Soccer
  • Softball
  • Speaking Engagements (Public Speakers and/or Public Invited)
  • Squash
  • Sweet 16
  • Swimming-No Open Water- no diving
  • Table Tennis
  • Taekwondo
  • Theatrical/Stage Performances
  • Track and Field
  • Triathlon
  • Ultimate Frisbee
  • Volleyball
  • Water Polo
  • Weddings

1. To apply for coverage, click the Apply Online button. You will not have to pay for coverage. If you have questions or require assistance, contact the Mercer Customer Service Center at 866-838-9536 between 8:00am and 5:00pm CST.
2. At the end of the process, print out the Certificate of Insurance, which verifies coverage.
3. Give a copy of the Certificate of Insurance to the department in charge of the facility you are using.

Tip: It is best to start the insurance process at least SEVEN days before the event.

You do NOT* need to sign up for coverage if you are holding the following types of events on-campus, however please note there may be conditions associated with these events that could require a manual application to be submitted in order to request coverage. Please see further information regarding these conditions below the following list of events:

  • Internal RSO meetings, including those that feature a speaker and/or food brought by members themselves (does not include banquets or catered events)
  • Aerobics
  • Anniversary Celebrations
  • Antique Shows
  • Archery
  • Art Shows
  • Association Meetings
  • Auctions
  • Award Presentations
  • Badminton
  • Band Competitions
  • Banquets
  • Baton Twirling
  • Birthday Parties (no Sweet 16 or Quinceneras)
  • Block Parties (no street closures, amusement rides or water attractions)
  • Bowling
  • Business Meetings
  • Choral Competitions
  • Church Services and meetings
  • Civic Club Meetings
  • Classical Concerts
  • Conferences
  • Conventions in Buildings
  • Craft Shows
  • Cricket
  • Cultural Show
  • Darts
  • Debutante Balls
  • Debuts
  • Dodge Ball
  • Drill Team
  • Drum & Bugle Corp Shows
  • Educational Exhibitions
  • Evangelistic Meetings
  • Fashion Shows
  • Film Showings
  • Flower and Garden Shows
  • Golf
  • Graduation Ceremonies
  • Home Shows
  • Job Fairs
  • Ladies Clubs
  • Lectures (Academic or Literary Speakers)
  • Luncheons
  • Marching Exhibitions
  • Musicals
  • Orchestral performances
  • Pom Pom
  • Receptions
  • Retirement Parties
  • Reunions
  • Seminars
  • Symphony performances Symposium
  • Teleconferences
  • Telethons
  • Tennis
  • Trade Shows
  • Vacation Shows
  • Vigils (On Campus RSO only)
  • Voter Registrations
  • Walkathon

* Provided your Student Organization is in good standing with your campus’s student life unit and you have written permission from the appropriate campus department to use the space requested, your event is automatically insured unless it:

  • Involves more than 5,000 people
  • Requires Products Coverage
  • Requires Garage Keepers Coverage
  • Requires Auto Coverage
  • Includes Amusements
  • Includes Inflatables
  • Is open to the public

If one or more of the above apply to your event, please print and complete an application form and send it to Mercer by email to or fax (515-365-3005).

In addition, if you are having vendors (caterers, DJs, entertainers, etc.) at your event, they must provide a Certificate of Insurance naming your organization and The Regents of the University of California as additional insured.

If a vendor does not have insurance, he/she may apply for coverage by downloading and completing the Exhibitor/Vendor Liability Application and send it via fax to 515-365-3005 or via email to

1. Email Campus Risk Management and describe your event in detail. Be sure to include the date and time of the event, where on campus you want to hold it, and how many people will be attending. Risk Management will tell you what you need to do to obtain coverage. Please give Risk Management at least SEVEN days’ notice of the event.
2. If your event is not covered by the commercial insurance policy for student on-campus events, you will have to obtain coverage through the University’s insurance broker, Mercer. Contact the Mercer Customer Service Center for assistance at 866-838-9536 between 8:00am and 5:00pm CST or by email at
3. There may be a charge for coverage of events not included in the commercial policy. Charges must be paid by the Registered Student Organization via credit or debit card prior to the event.
4. At the end of the process, print out the Certificate of Insurance, which verifies coverage.
5. Give a copy of the Certificate of Insurance to the department in charge of the facility you are using.

Make sure non-affiliates have the required insurance.

If non-affiliates (people who are not students, officers, or employees of UC) will be providing any of the following goods or services at your event, they will need insurance coverage too:

  • Food. Examples: caterers, restaurants.
  • Entertainment. Examples: bands, bounce house owners, theatrical troupes.
  • Any other goods or services with serious inherent risks that can be reasonably foreseen.

If the non-affiliates already have insurance coverage, they need to send the department in charge of the facility you are using a Certificate of Insurance. Certificate requirements are listed below. If they do not have insurance coverage, they can purchase insurance.

Requirements for Non-Affiliate Certificates of Insurance

  • The Non-Affiliate must be listed as the Insured.
  • The REGENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA and your student group must be listed as Additional Insureds.
  • The Insurer/Producer name and contact information must be on the certificate.
  • The policy start and end date must encompass the entire length of your event.
  • The policy must include General Liability coverage of at least $1,000,000.
  • If the non-affiliate is bringing a vehicle onto campus, the policy must include Automobile Liability coverage of at least $1,000,000.
  • If the non-affiliate is bringing employees onto campus, the policy must include evidence of California Workers’ Compensation coverage.
  • The Certificate of Insurance must provide 30 days’ advance written notice to the University of any modification, change, or cancellation of any component of the insurance coverage.

The University of California does not provide liability insurance coverage for the off-campus activities of student organizations. Although the University cannot require that student organizations obtain insurance for off-campus events, having insurance is recommended, especially for events involving physical activity. In some cases the student organization may have no choice but to obtain insurance, because the outside facility hosting the event requires proof of coverage before allowing the event to occur.

The University has created this web site so student organizations can purchase insurance for off-campus events. It is best to start the process at least SEVEN days before the event. Start by clicking on the link below, which will take you to an application form. After you have finished filling out the form, you will receive a price for the coverage. UNLIKE ON-CAMPUS STUDENT EVENTS, OFF-CAMPUS EVENTS ARE NOT PAID FOR BY THE UNIVERSITY. You must pay for the coverage by credit or debit card.

Once payment has been processed, a Certificate of Insurance will be generated, which constitutes proof that your event has liability insurance coverage. Print it out and, if necessary, provide it to the host facility after making a copy for yourself.

The cost of coverage will depend on the duration of the event, the number of participants, and the level of risk. A low-risk, one-day event with fewer than 100 participants will cost $100.00.

  • Aerobics
  • Anniversary Celebration
  • Antique Show
  • Archery
  • Art Show
  • Association Meeting
  • Auction
  • Automobile Show
  • Badminton
  • Band Competition
  • Baton Twirling
  • Bingo
  • Birthday Party
  • Block Party (no street closures, amusement rides, or water attractions) Fencing
  • Bowling
  • Choral Competition
  • Classical Concert
  • Convention in Building(s)
  • Craft Show
  • Cricket
  • Debut
  • Debutante Ball
  • Drill Team
  • Educational Show
  • Fashion Show
  • Flower and Garden Show
  • Golf
  • Graduation Party (with adult attendance)
  • Home Show
  • Ice Skating
  • Job Fair
  • Ladies Club
  • Lecture
  • Luncheon
  • Marching Exhibition
  • Musical
  • Pom Pom
  • Reception
  • Retirement Party
  • Reunion
  • Sailing
  • Seminar
  • Speaking Engagement
  • Squash
  • Swimming
  • Teleconference
  • Telethon
  • Tennis
  • Trade Show
  • Vacation Show
  • Volleyball
  • Voter Registration
  • Animal Show
  • Bar or Bat Mitzvah
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Boat Show (dry dock)
  • Casino and Lounge Show
  • Classical Concert (outdoor)
  • Concerts (attended by students only with no public ads)
  • Concession Stand Sales for Athletic and Other Events
  • Consumer Show
  • Cooking Demonstration
  • County Festival or Fair
  • Cross Country
  • Dance
  • Farm Market
  • Field Hockey
  • Film Showing
  • Football (non-contact)
  • Fraternal Convention
  • Handball
  • Harvest Festival
  • Judo
  • Karate
  • Lacrosse
  • Livestock Show
  • Martial Arts
  • Outdoor Picnic (no water exposures)
  • Outdoor Trade Show
  • Pageant
  • Parade (under 500 spectators)
  • Prom
  • Quinceanera
  • Racquetball
  • Rowing
  • Soap Box Derby
  • Soccer
  • Softball
  • Sweet 16Theatrical Stage Performance
  • Track and Field
  • Ultimate Frisbee
  • Wedding
  • Boxing
  • Cheerleading
  • Diving
  • Football (contact)
  • Gymnastics
  • Ice Hockey
  • Inline Hockey
  • Rifle/Skeet/Trap
  • Rugby
  • Skateboarding (exhibitions/contests only)
  • Skiing
  • Speed Skating
  • Weightlifting
  • Wrestling

If your event is not on any of the above lists, contact the Mercer Customer Service Center at 866-838-9536 between 6:00 am and 3:00 pm Pacific Time.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If people outside your group are providing any of the following goods or services at your event (especially if they are charging you), they should probably have their own insurance:

  • Food. Examples: caterers, restaurants.
  • Entertainment. Examples: bands, bounce house owners, theatrical troupes.
  • Any other goods or services with serious inherent risks that can be reasonably foreseen.

If they do not have insurance coverage, they can purchase insurance through our Vendor Liability program.

Claims Reporting

How to report a claim:

  1. Gather the Facts

    When reporting a notice of loss (injury, property damage to third parties, auto accidents, etc.; related to a registered event), please provide as much detail as possible. This should include, but not be limited to, Insured Name (The Regents of the University of California plus student organization/club name), Contact Name (student organization/club), Policy Number, Claimant Name, Claimant Contact Information, Date of Loss, Location of Loss, Cause of Loss, Your Policy or Reference Number, Initial Steps Taken to Mitigate the Loss, Type (s) and Description of Damage and Estimated Amount of Loss.

  2. Report
    • Available Online
    • Philadelphia Insurance Companies
      Attention Claims Department
      One Bala Plaza, Suite 100
      Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004-0950
    • Phone: 800-765-9749
      Fax: 800-685-9238
      Email –
  3. Follw Up
  4. The claims customer service department will immediately process your first notice of loss and you will be contacted by your servicing representative.

    For information on how to report a University of California Accident Medical claim, view the instructions below for the ACE process. You must report the accident to ACE prior to reporting to Philadelphia.

  1. Gather the Facts

    When reporting a notice of an injury to a member and/or participant, please provide as much detail as possible about the circumstances of how the injury occurred. The information you gather will be needed on the claim form, see below, and the servicing representative will obtain further information when needed. Details should include, but not be limited to, Insured Name (UC Campus and full name of the student organization/club), student organization/club Contact Name, Policy Number (provided on form), Injured Member/Participant Name, Date of Loss, Description of the Injury, Description of the Event where the Injury Occurred, Physical Location where Injury Occurred, Cause of Injury, Your Reference Number (if applicable), Initial Steps Taken to assist the injured participant, any medical reports or invoices received from or on behalf of the injured participant.

  2. Report
    • ACE Accident Claim Form in PDF
    • Follow the instruction on the form, complete the form and obtain the required signatures and mail to:
      ACE American Insurance Company
      P. O. Box 15417
      Wilmington, DE 19850
    • Phone: 800-336-0627 or 302-476-6194
      Fax: 302-476-6154
  3. Follow Up
  4. The claims customer service department will immediately process your report and you and the injured participant will be contacted by your servicing representative.

We're here to help! Please contact us in whatever manner is most convenient for you.

Call Center

Phone: (866) 838-9536 (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Central, M-F)
FAX: (515) 365-3005


Mailing Address

Program Administrator
Mercer Health & Benefits Insurance Services LLC
PO Box 14521
Des Moines, IA 50306

Street Address for Express Shipments

12421 Meredith Drive
Urbandale, IA 50323

Get a Quote Today

To apply for coverage, simply click the Apply Online button below or you can download the RCO Application form below.

Apply Online

RCO Application Form


UC Hazard Class Chart

ACE Accident Medical Policy Summary

Print a Blanket Certificate

Please review the RCO On Campus Blanket Certificate below to determine if it will apply to your event (not applicable to any hazard class 4 events). If your event qualifies, you may print the blanket Certificate to provide proof of insurance. If your event does not qualify, please complete the RCO Application Form above and submit it to If you have questions, please contact us at 1-866-838-9536.

Printing this Blanket Certificate is not allowed for any hazard class 4 events, or any hazard class 1, 2 or 3 events not fitting the eligibility requirements as outlined, and using the certificate for proof of coverage for these event classes will void coverage.

RCO On Campus Blanket Certificate